A little Assistance to Prepare and Get Organised
Home move plan Checklist Inventory List Checklist
Guide to Planning a Home Move:
Moving to a new home can be an exciting yet challenging experience. Proper planning and organization are essential to ensure a smooth and successful move. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you plan your home move and find the right removalist or backloading company:
1. Determine Your Requirements:
• Assess your moving needs. Are you moving locally or interstate? Do you require short or long-term storage? Will you need pre-packing services or prefer to pack yourself? Would you consider backloads or share load moving options? Do you need vehicle transport services? Do you require additional insurance coverage? Understanding your requirements will help you communicate effectively with moving companies.
2. Research and Gather Recommendations:
• Discover the best removalist or backloading companies in your vicinity by doing thorough research. Read online reviews, solicit recommendations from trusted sources, and scour local directories. Prioritize companies with a proven track record, extensive experience, and comprehensive services that match your specific needs.
3. Obtain Multiple Quotes:
• Contact at least three different removalist or backloading companies and request comprehensive quotes. Provide them with accurate information about your move, including the distance, size of your belongings, any additional services needed, and specific requirements such as storage or vehicle transport. Compare the quotes and consider the value offered along with the price.
4. Check Licensing and Insurance:
• Ensure that the moving company you choose is properly licensed and insured. Ask for their license number and verify it with the relevant regulatory authority. Additionally, confirm that they have adequate insurance coverage to protect your belongings during the move.
5. Arrange for an On-Site Survey:
• For accurate quoting and planning, request an on-site survey from the shortlisted companies. This will allow them to assess the volume of your belongings, any potential challenges during the move, and provide you with a more accurate estimate. During the survey, discuss your specific requirements and address any concerns you may have.
6. Read and Understand the Terms and Conditions:
• Carefully review the terms and conditions provided by the moving company. Pay attention to details such as payment methods, cancellation policies, and any limitations or exclusions. Seek clarification for any points that are unclear to ensure a transparent and mutually agreed-upon agreement.
7. Discuss Insurance Options:
• Inquire about the insurance options available for your move. Understand the coverage provided, including any limitations or exclusions. Consider whether additional insurance is necessary to adequately protect your belongings. Seek advice from the moving company regarding the value of your possessions and the appropriate coverage needed.
8. Arrange for Storage (if required):
• If you need short or long-term storage for your belongings, discuss the storage options available with the moving company. Inquire about the facilities, security measures, access arrangements, and associated costs. Ensure that the storage facilities meet your requirements in terms of size, condition, and duration.
9. Confirm the Moving Schedule:
• Secure your moving date and schedule with your chosen moving company. Make sure they are fully aware of your specific needs and any supplemental services you've requested like vehicle transportation or pre-packing. Share your contact details and addresses to guarantee smooth communication throughout the process.
10. Communicate Special Requirements:
• If you have any specific requirements, such as fragile or valuable items that need extra care, inform the moving company in advance. Provide them with detailed instructions and discuss any necessary preparations or special packaging required.
11. Prepare for the Move:
• Get ahead of moving day by starting to pack and organize your belongings early. Make sure you have all the essential packing supplies like boxes, bubble wrap, tape, and markers if you plan to pack yourself. Label each box with its contents and which room it belongs in for stress-free unpacking later.
1. Determine your moving date:
• Decide on a specific date for your move to ensure proper planning and coordination with the removalists.
2. Research and select a reliable removalist company:
• Look for reputable removalist companies in your area and compare their services, pricing, and customer reviews to make an informed decision.
3. Take inventory of your belongings:
• Ensure a smooth move by compiling a comprehensive inventory list of all your possessions. Cover all bases, such as furniture, appliances, estimated number of boxes and personal belongings that you will take with your when you transport yourself.
• Note down any valuable or fragile items that require special care during the move.
4. Declutter and organize:
• Before packing, go through your belongings and declutter your home. Donate, sell, or discard items you no longer need or use.
• Organize your items into categories, making it easier to pack and unpack at your new home.
5. Decide on packing options:
• Determine whether you will pack your belongings yourself or hire the removalists to handle the packing.
• If self-packing, gather appropriate packing materials such as boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, and packing paper.
6. Notify relevant parties:
• Inform your utility companies, internet service providers, and other essential services about your move. Arrange for disconnection and reconnection at your new home.
7. Update your address:
• Don't forget its important to update your address with your bank, insurance providers, employers, internet service providers, and any other important institutions. Keep your information current and stay connected.
8. Arrange for storage (if needed):
• If you require a storage facility, contact your removalist company to inquire about their storage options or any advice on a storage facility that may be more suitable for your needs. A good removalist will always assist customers wherever they can.
9. Obtain moving insurance:
• Check with your removalist company or insurance provider to ensure your belongings are adequately insured during the move. Many moving companies only provide one type of insurance so it's important to ask the questions before booking in your move.
10. Pack an essentials box:
• Make moving a breeze by packing a box with all your essentials - toiletries, medications, important documents, and a few days' worth of clothes. This way, you won't have to scramble to find your must-haves when you arrive at your new home. Be prepared and stress-free!
11. Label your boxes:
• Label each box with its contents and the room it belongs to. This will make unpacking much easier and more organized.
12. Confirm logistics with removalists:
• Contact your removalist company to confirm the moving date, time, and any specific requirements they may have. This can also be detailed in quotes you receive.
13. Secure parking and access:
• Ensure there is suitable parking available for the removalist's truck at both your current and new residence.
• If necessary, obtain any permits or permissions required for parking or building access.
14. Final walkthrough:
• Conduct a final walkthrough of your home to ensure nothing is left behind before the removalists arrive.
15. Be present during the move:
• Be available or have someone that can be available at both your current and new home during the move to oversee the process and address any concerns or questions.
• Customize this checklist to fit your unique needs and situations - it's a helpful general guide to get you started.